Nov. 29, 2021. Reno/Sparks, NV – The Washoe County Health District (WCHD) is teaming up with Renown Health to administer the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to those aged 5-11 years at four individual events in December starting Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021.
Appointments for the pediatric vaccine events can be made here.
What: COVID-19 vaccine for those 5-11 years old only (No vaccines for 12+ at this event)
When: Four Wednesdays in December: Dec. 1, Dec. 8, Dec. 22 (second doses) and Dec. 29 (second doses); all events open from 4-6 p.m.
Where: 10315 Professional Circle, Reno, 89521; Hometown Health building
Appointments: Sign up here
Note: Vaccines will be administered inside the building; this is not a drive-through clinic
Pertinent information regarding the COVID-19 vaccine for those 5-11 years old:
- Only the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is available for those aged 5-11
- Two doses are recommended, with the second dose due three weeks after the first
- The dosage for children aged 5-11 is 1/3rd the size of a standard Pfizer dose
- The vaccine was found to be 90.7% effective in preventing COVID-19 in children aged 5-11
- The vaccine’s safety was studied in approximately 3,100 children ages 5-11 who received the vaccine and no serious side effects have been detected in the ongoing study
- A parent or guardian must accompany a minor to get a COVID-19 vaccine.
- More safety information can be found here.
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention endorsed the COVID-19 vaccine for ages 5-11 on Nov. 2, 2021 after the Food and Drug Administration issued emergency use authorization the week prior.
For more information about the COVID-19 vaccine in Washoe County, visit www.COVID19Washoe.com.
The Washoe County Health District is nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board and has jurisdiction over all public health matters in Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County through the policy-making Washoe County District Board of Health. The District consists of five divisions: Administrative Health Services, Air Quality Management, Community and Clinical Health Services, Environmental Health Services and Epidemiology & Public Health Preparedness. More info can be found here.